As La Jolla Realtors we get asked all the time from prospective home sellers “should I put my home on the market during the Holidays or wait until after New Years?” Our answer is always Yes! The standard answer from some Realtors is to say, “No, wait until the first of the year, enjoy your Holidays.” Well, we strongly disagree! You might be surprised to know that in reality, November and December are the best months to sell a home. In fact, a couple of years ago December was our busiest month ever! Here’s why:
1. Less Competition: Sellers generally take their homes off the market during the holidays then put them on. Buyers will have fewer homes to choose from, which means less competition. More importantly, only Serious Buyers are looking for homes during this time and Buyers are really motivated to buy. Another perk, is that that the looky loos, who only want to look but are not serious about buying, are not out this time of year. Additionally, come the end of January the housing inventory increases dramatically, because everyone else will be putting his or her house on the market, which could reduce the demand for your home.
2. Buyers have more time to look over the holidays. As a seller, you have the end of the year working in your favor, since buyers might have to buy before the end of the year for tax reasons. Also, buyers often take time during the holidays to look for homes when they are relocating to start a new job in the New Year. Now is the best time to grab their attention.
3. Homes that are on the market during the holidays tend to show the best. Curb appeal is in full force when your home is decked out for the holiday season. Also, there is nothing better for a buyer than walking into a home with a roaring fire in the fireplace, which gives your home a “warm and cozy” feeling.
4. Interest rates are still low and buyers can take advantage of them. Additionally, home inspectors, appraisers and lenders are not as busy, and will be able to focus on the sale of your home, as other sellers are not taking advantage of this season. Also during the holidays, contractors, plumbers, designers and other home services providers are more available and at less of a premium.
5. Buyers can be emotional this time of year, which can lead to spending more on just the right house. Rememberbuying a home is not just a huge financial decision; it is also an emotional one. What better time to tug on those homey feelings then during the holidays? Showing your home off to potential buyers during this time of year only helps the buyers to visualize themselves in the house celebrating their own holiday traditions.
If you are thinking about selling your home and are interested in finding out more about the market give us a call 619-980-2738 today or click here. We specialize in getting homes sold for the best price possible in all markets. We can help you receive the best holiday present of all, a “sold” sign on your front yard.