1. Home
  2. >
  3. Blog
  4. >
  5. Tips for Getting/Keeping Homeowner’s...

Tips for Getting/Keeping Homeowner’s Insurance In California After All The Wildfires

Aug 25, 2019

After several years of record-breaking California wildfires, insurance companies have responded by imposing huge premium increases on property owners, or even worse, flat-out denying coverage and canceling policies. All of which has left homeowners with the daunting task of searching for replacement insurance. Below we offer some tips to help property owners find a new insurance plan or to maintain their current one:         

  1. Know Your Rights! The insurance company must notify you in writing, at least 45 days before the policy expiration date, if it will not renew the insurance policy on your home. If you did not receive proper notice, or you believe the non-renewal was unfair, you should contact the California Department of Insurance (DOI) at 1-800-927-HELP or online.There are circumstances when the insurer must renew your policy, including:
    • Your policy may contain a guaranteed renewal provision. Check to see if you have this protection.
    • If you lost your home in a declared disaster, California Insurance Code section 675.1 gives disaster victims the right to a renewal. 
  2. If you receive notice of a rate increase or non-renewal, contact your insurance company (or have your insurance agent help you) to see if there are fire hardening steps you can take to change the company’s decision.Your local fire department may be able to help through a brush clearing assistance program or might recommend other ways to reduce fire risk.
  3. Start shopping for insurance early! The most important tip is to start shopping for insurance early! It takes time to complete applications and obtain quotes. Insurance agents can make the task easier. When contacting insurance agents, check to see if the agent works exclusively with one insurance company or is an agent who has access to multiple carriers. Keep track of which insurance companies are being contacted by each of the agents you work with, to make sure there is a thorough search of all options. Use this tool from the California Department of Insurance for finding an agent or broker near you.
  4. Check for policies written by admitted insurance companies. It is only admitted insurance companies that are backed by the California Insurance Guarantee Association (CIGA). They must file their rates and policy forms with the California Department of Insurance (DOI) and, most importantly, they are part of CIGA, which provides protections if the carrier becomes insolvent.The DOI has a list of admitted insurance companies.
  5. Make sure you are not underinsured. Check whether the policy will cover the likely cost to rebuild your home in compliance with current building codes.You should consider insuring your property for Replacement Cost Value, not just depreciated Actual Cash Value. 
  6. Compare the types of coverage and limits, and feel free to ask questions. You can compare the types of coverage and limits using the DOI coverage comparison tool. Policies contain limits and exclusions.You may need to ask your insurance agent questions, including: Will this policy be adequate to cover the cost of rebuilding my home to its pre-loss condition? Does it cover demolition and debris removal? Is there a coverage limit on my temporary rent and expenses (Additional Living Expenses) while my home is being repaired or rebuilt? Are my home-based business property and operations covered? What causes of loss are not covered? 
  7. Check surplus lines insurance options, if you are unable to obtain coverage through an admitted carrier. Surplus lines (aka “Non-admitted”) carriers do not file their rates and policy forms with the DOI and are not part of CIGA (which means CIGA will not provide protection should these non-admitted carriers become insolvent). However, these carriers often provide more flexible offerings.You should investigate the overall financial strength of the surplus carrier by a service such as A.M. Best to determine whether it offers the best solution.
  8. The Fair Plan is available as a last resort. If there are no other options, you or your insurance agent should contact California FAIR Plan at 1 (800) 339-4099. The FAIR Plan policy can be expensive, and it only covers certain losses caused by fire and smoke. For other perils such as theft and liability, consumers will need to buy Differences in Conditions (DIC) insurance to fill the gaps. Here is a list of DIC carriers.

Remember always talk to your homeowners insurance agent for the latest requirements when you are looking to insure your home. If you are thinking of making a move, call or text me at 619.908.2738! Let’s start the conversation.

Subscribe to receive The Ultimate Insider Guide to La Jolla's Luxury Living!

Your request for a map of La Jolla's dining and activity recommendations has been received. Thank you!