Why Selling Your Home During The Holidays Makes Sense Share
November 27, 2018
As a Realtor I get asked all the time from prospective home sellers “Should I put my home on the market during the Holidays or wait until after New Years?"
My answer is always Yes if you want to sell your house, list it during the holidays. Generally, the standard answer from some Realtors is to say, “No, wait until the first of the year, enjoy your Holidays.” Well I’m telling you, those Realtors are wrong! You might be asking why? You might be surprised to know that in reality, November and December are the best months to sell a home. In fact, a couple of years ago December was my busiest month ever!
Here are 5 reasons why selling during the Holidays
- Less Competition - One reason is that during the holidays more properties are taken off the market then put on. Buyers will have less to choose from, and if your home is on the market there will be less competition.
- Serious Buyers - More importantly, only serious buyers are looking for homes during this time. The buyers who are looking are highly motivated to buy. Another perk, is that that the looky loos are busy shopping for the holidays are not out.
- Homes During The Holidays Generally Show The Best – There is nothing better than walking into a home that is all decked out for the season. Curb appeal is in full force! Or for a Buyer to walk into a home where pine scented candles are burning and chocolate chip cookies are baking in the oven. To make the most of this time, though, you’ll want to make your home is as warm, appealing and inviting as possible. Buyers have more time to look over the holidays and are emotional, which can lead to spending more on just the right house.
- Interest Rates Are Changing– Another reason is that interest rates are starting to rise and buyers can take advantage of the rates now before they go higher. Additionally home inspectors, appraisers and lenders are not as busy, and will be able to focus on the sale of your home, as other sellers are not taking advantage of this season. As a seller, you have the end of the year working in your favor, since buyers might have to buy before the end of the year for tax reasons
- Housing Inventory Increases After New Year – Generally in January the housing inventory increases dramatically, because everyone else will start putting their house on the market, which could reduce the demand for your home
Remember buying a home is not just a huge financial decision; it is also an emotional one. What better time to tug on those homey feelings then during the holidays? Showing your home off to potential buyers during the wintery days only helps the buyers to visualize their family in the house celebrating their own holiday.
And you might receive the best holiday present of all, a “sold” sign on your front yard.
So if you are thinking of selling your home this holiday, why not work with the best in Luxury Real Estate! Give me a call or text at 619.980.2738 and let's get started!