Top 9 Tips To Get Your Home Ready For The Spring Market Share
March 2, 2018
Spring is here and it's a great time to sell your home! First impressions count. It may seem like a daunting task but here are 9 Easy Tips you can make to dramatically improve your home's appearance. These improvements will lead to a quicker sale in the very competitive spring market!
1. Curb Appeal - Update Your Landscaping - Finally, planting flowers and replacing your mulch beds around the front is an inexpensive way to make a huge improvement on your home’s curb appeal. The way you home looks from the outside really makes a statement. Buyers know right away which homes stand out on the block. Don’t let them drive right by.
2. Paint Your Front Door - Everyone knows a few key accessories can update your whole wardrobe. It’s the same case when it comes to your house and its curb appeal. A colorful door, a garden full of brightly colored flowers and even a statement doorknocker can make your house have outstanding curb appeal. And fortunately it doesn’t need to cost you a bundle.
3. Update Your Doorknob - Jeffrey Fick (named the National Association of the Remodeling Industry’s Contractor of the year in 2014) says something as simple as a fresh coat of paint on the front door can do the trick. He also says don’t forget to pay attention to the door’s hardware too. An updated doorknob can really make a difference. Or you could trade up to a new fiberglass front door, which typically costs under $1000.
4. Clean Out Your Garage & Paint The Door - Don’t forget about the garage. Make sure the garage is clean, in good repair, organized and that you can actually walk through it. Your garage façade could take up more than one-third of the front of the house. A fresh coat of paint on the garage door or on the floor can make a huge impact.
5. Paint The Interior Of Your Home & Replace Your Carpet– There is nothing better than a buyer walking into a freshly painted home with new carpet. Your home will look cleaner and more spacious to the prospective homebuyer. Brand new carpet always brightens up a home. Especially if the carpet is neutral the rooms will feel much bigger.
6. Replace Light Bulbs & Smoke Detector Batteries – Make sure all of the lightbulbs are working and free of dirt and debris. If the light bulbs aren't LEDs I recommend you change out all your light bulbs to them as well. Don’t forget to check the outdoor lights too. Now is the time to make sure that all smoke detectors are working and have new batteries.
7. Get A Home Inspection - To avoid nasty surprises once you’re in the process of selling your home, have your own inspection done, and make any repairs before you list the home. Your home inspection will save you money once you are under contract.
8. Deep Clean & De-Clutter & Your Home - De-cluttering your home can make a it look more spacious. Make sure to go all your closets and drawers. Get rid of oversize furniture and family pictures from the walls. Deep cleaning means wiping down all of the baseboards and moldings and cleaning cabinets, appliances (including the oven) and every corner from top to bottom including light fixtures and ceiling fans.
9. Service Your Cooling & Heating Systems - A home inspector is going to check this anyway, so beat ’em to the punch by having the system serviced and cleaned.
If you do all these steps before you put your home on the market, I guarantee your home will sale faster and at a higher price!
If you are thinking of selling your home this spring, call or text me at 619.980.2738. Let's get started! I'm here to help!